I’ve always wanted to start an elementary art club and I was particularly inspired after attending a workshop session on the topic down in Fort Worth, Texas last year at NAEA. I guess the biggest obstacle (in my mind anyway) was how I would deal with the oodles and oodles of kids after school?? I would want a good turn out, but I also worried that I would feel as though I was babysitting. So out of this, the idea for the FAMILY art club was born! Perfect, want to know why?!
1. Students and I would have our art club, but…
2. A responsible adult would have to come with them! Even better, because…
3. As teachers we know that when a parent is involved in their child’s education, the better the child will do!
4. My own children and husband will get to come because it is a FAMILY thing.
5. Best part: wrote a grant, grant was approved, and therefore, Family Art Outreach is FREE to the families in my district!Click HERE to watch a short iMovie from the first ever FAO event!
What are you thoughts on an art club? Have you tried it? What kind of format have you used? Always looking for ways to improve!